Thursday, June 28, 2012

Coming Up: Adventures in Fitness Retro Workout Week


     Next week, we celebrate one of my favorite days of the year ~ the Fourth of July.  Not only will I celebrate a mid-week national  holiday complete with family, fireworks, and food, but I will be heading to the cabin for some more Adventures in the Kitchen and Garden by the end of the week.
     In the meantime, as our country looks back to that great historical day that we as a young nation declared our independence,  I, too, will celebrate a little history in my Adventures in Fitness series.
     If you are a video workout junkie like me, you may recognize the three ladies above who joined the likes of Jane Fonda, Denise Austin, and Joannie Greggains by launching a brand new exercise industry in the form of VHS tapes and thirty-minute morning shows when I was a teen some thirty years ago.
     Some of my best memories of those years are having a living room full of sisters and cousins working out daily to The Twenty-Minute not once, but twice, a day in the summer of 1983.  
     (I actually own The Twenty-Minute Workout VHS, but, at my age, it looks like doing this particular workout is only ever going to be a memory.)
     Since those days of big teased hair, leotards, and leg warmers, video workouts have transformed in a major way.  What hasn't changed is that doing at-home workouts in the living area in front of the TV is still a convenient, effective, great way to keep fit.
      So next week, I won't only be pulling out the red, white, and blue...I will be pulling out my Top Five Retro Workouts from the 1980s and 1990s. They are the reason why I will always own a combination DVD/VHS player.
     Some things, like independence and a little fun, never get old.  So see you next week for a look back at some of my favorite classics.
     And for my recent reviews of not-so-dated workouts, visit the Cabin Channel YouTube Channel.


     Have a wonderful Friday :)


Related Blog
A Fitting Addiction

No comments:

Post a Comment