Saturday, June 30, 2012

S'mores Chocolate Cupcakes

    

     Seems like yesterday that I chased my niece through a school yard, across the street, and over to the parking lot, where she hoped somehow to find a way to getting out of first grade that day.  I had promised my sister I would take her to school that particular morning...not realizing the little seven year-old was a very fast "flight risk".
     Well, she got used to this thing called the classroom, and, today, we come together to celebrate her high school graduation.  Come fall, she will be heading to college ~ and I don't see her taking off once she gets to campus.
     Our big, fat Irish family loves to get together, and we all like to bring some kind of dish to help make the day even more celebratory and festive. So, naturally, I asked my sister what I could bring today.
     When you have a history in the kitchen like mine, I guess I shouldn't be insulted when I am asked to make a salad.  Of course, I will, and the lettuce, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, and green onions are waiting.
     But I wanted to go with something a little more fun, so, while parusing the aisles at Acme this morning, I decided to go with the most fun food of all for kids: s'mores. 
     Actually, s'more cupcakes.
     (I know, I know. Yes, our family is in the heat of the Biggest Loser Competition.  I'm just going to make them for the kids, not eat them myself!)
     I bought the usual makings for s'mores, which are chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers, but was not really sure exactly which direction I was going with it.  Just, somehow, s'mores cupcakes were going to be made for today's party.
      When I got home and Googled recipes, I saw that there are like a hundred ways to make these kind of cupcakes, so I just went with my own. 
     Here you go:

Chocolate Cake Mix ~ 1 box
Eggs ~ according to cake mix
Oil ~ according to cake mix
Mini Marshmallows ~ 1 bag
Chocolate ~ I went with bag of semi-sweet morsels
Graham Crackers ~ 1 box
Chocolate Frosting ~ 1 container
Marshmallow Creme (optional)

     After following the directions for the cake mix, set out 16 foiled line cupcake holders on a cookie sheet, then fill each of them with batter, saving about one-fourth.  Sprinkle each cupcake with about 5 or so mini-marshallows, and the same amount of chips, then add about a teaspoon more of batter on top. 
     Crush about 4 or 5 graham crackers in a gallon size ziplock bag and top each cupcake with it, leaving about half the bag for later.
     Bake according to cake mix directions (about 20 minutes)
     You could stop here and, when totally baked, have a lovely little cupcake to serve.
     But we are going for all-out decadence today, so after allowing them to cool, spread each with a little marshmallow cream, followed by the chocolate frosting.  Press about 5 or so of both the mini-marshallows and chips into the frosting, then sprinkle the remainder of the crushed graham crackers on top.
       Now that's a lot more fun than the salad I will be making.  And having.

       Have a wonderful Saturday :)
     


    
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment