Monday, May 14, 2012

Southwestern Morning Pita

     After a series of long weekends full of commitments, I am thankful for the blessing of my home in the mountains. The fresh air, the plush green, the peaceful setting all help to refresh me.

      Last Friday, I grabbed my dog, my laundry, and a cooler of ingredients ~ veggies, cheese, chicken breast, black beans, green tea, Greek yogurt, and, of course, whole wheat pitas ~ and set out for the cabin to begin work on my garden project. (which didn't get too far since I ended up on the couch with a sore throat, chills, and aches for most of the time.)

     I'm a big fan of these pitas.  They are a healthy carb option, taste great, are satisfying, and are the perfect food with which to create a variety of filling meals.

     So over the weekend,, I whipped up an easy and hearty breakfast with the following ingredients:

Whole Wheat Pita ~ One
Egg ~ One (Egg white, if preferred)
Tomato ~ About 1/6 of one, diced
Red Pepper ~ About 1/8, chopped
Green Pepper ~ About 1/8, chopped
Mexican Cheese Mix ~ Low-fat, about 1/4 cup
Pepper ~ To taste
Cayenne Pepper ~ To taste
Avocado spread

      (I generally keep a baggie of fresh and washed vegetables in the fridge for meals like these, to add to salads, etc.  I also keep avocado spread in a small container to have on hand for moments in the kitchen like these. Just cut and clean out an avocado or two, and mix well with some pepper or garlic. Makes a great spread or dip.)

      As you toast the pita, sautee the tomato and peppers using medium heat for about 10 minutes in some olive oil in a small skillet.  Once ready, I crack and egg right on top of the vegetables, mix it in along with the black and cayenne peppers, and let it cook about 3 minutes or until done.  I pour the cheese on top of the egg & veggie mix, turn off the stove, and cover the skillet to allow the cheese to melt.

      As the cheese is melting, I take the pita from the toaster, spread some avocado on it, and, when ready, pour the contents of the skillet onto the pita and fold it. (I don't use the pocket, just the whole pita.)

    So in one little happy morning meal with a kick, you have all your essentials: a balance of protein, carbs, and fat ~ all of which your body needs.

     Have a wonderful week :).

No comments:

Post a Comment