Saturday, April 7, 2012

Matzo Ball Soup

      I never heard of Matzo Ball Soup until about a month ago.

     I decided to get my son a driver instructor so that he could get his license without having to wait for a month, so I drove him to the testing center on a Monday, the day that it is closed.  The instructor told me he would need about two hours, and that I could go shop and eat in the shopping center across from the course.  He highly recommended the soup at a place called Ben & Irv's.

     I took his advice, and, when the waitress listed the soups of the day, she said something which I didn't quite make out.  I asked her to repeat the name of the soup, which she did, but I still didn't catch what she saying.  So, I ordered it.

     When it came, I was kind of fascinated by this big bowl of soup with carrots and celery and a big giant ball in the middle.  I consumed every drop, then went off to shop.

      My son passed his driver's exam the next day, and I went on a mission to find the recipe for Matzo Ball Soup.

     Here it is:

     Chicken Consomme (four cans, I used Manischewitz variety)
     Three carrots (washed, peeled, and sliced)
     Three stalks of celery (washed, sliced and with leaves)
     Matzo Ball Mix (I used one box of Streits, both bags.)
     Vegetable Oil (half cup, as called for on matzo ball mix.)
     Eggs (four, as called for on matzo ball mix.)
     Dill weed, one tsp.
     Pepper, one tsp.
     Crackers
     In a crock pot set on high, pour four cans of chicken consumee and four cans of water as instructed, along with  chopped celery, leaves, and carrots.  Add dill weed and pepper, stir, then place lid on crock. 

    After about four hours, make the matzo balls.

    Crack four eggs and add one half cup of vegetable oil in a bowl, then mix.  Add one box (two bags) of Matzo Ball Mix and mix well.  Let sit for 15 minutes and, while waiting, boil four quarts of water in a large pot. After 15 minutes, wet hands and roll balls into about the size of meatballs.  (Depending on size, you will make about twenty balls.) Place in boiling water, put lid on pot, and turn on low for 30 minutes.

     Remove matzo balls from water after 30 minutes and add to crock pot.  Leave on high for another hour, then turn to low or warm.  Serve with any kind of matzo soup crackers. (I used Manischewitz Garlic Tam Tams Snack Crackers.)

     Enjoy ~ and have a wonderful weekend :)

<a

No comments:

Post a Comment