Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cabin Style Irish Grannies Mac & Cheese



     When you've got the flu, you can sure watch a lot of movies.  So as 2012 drew to a close and 2013 opened its doors, I found myself pretty much down for the count on the couch, sipping ginger ale and taking in all kinds of movies from Country Strong to The Women to Law Abiding Citizen.
     
     One of those movies was the treasured classic Forrest Gump, complete with an out-of-this-world soundtrack, an unreal performance by Tom Hanks, and the classic line: "Life is like a box of chocolates ~ you nevah know whot ya gonna get."
    
     This has rung true for me in recent months, hence the lack of time to blog like I want to.  So many changes have gone on in my life (good, bad, & ugly) that I haven't even been to my beloved cabin since October ~ yes, October!
     
     But change is God's way of bringing us to bigger and better places in life, and, thankfully, to cabin this weekend.
     
     Since arriving, I've enjoyed the wonderful company of my family, played CDs I haven't listened to in years, lit my candles like an overzealous altar boy, and skimmed through cookbooks in search of a simple but satisfying recipe worthy of the cabin kitchen.
     
     I opted with an easy Macaroni & Cheese recipe from a gift I received this Christmas called the Irish Grannies Recipe Book, edited by Eoin Purcell. Now I made some changes to this basic recipe, but only because I didn't want to remove my slippers or myself from the toasty warm log home I've retreated to for the weekend. So you will see a few modifications listed below.
    
      Anyway, here you go:

     Corn flour ~ 1 and a half ounces
     Milk ~ 1 cup
     Butter ~ 1 ounce
     Grated cheese ~ 4 ounces
     Cooked Macaroni ~ 6 ounces
     Salt, pepper, mustard ~ a fourth tsp. each

     Set over to 350 degrees, then mix the corn flour with a little of the milk until smooth.  Bring the rest of the milk to a boil separately. Add the corn four cream to it, along with the butter and cheese.  Boil for 3 minutes.

     In pot, combine the cooked macaroni with the cheese mixture and seasonings.  Pour the entire mix in to a buttered pie dish and bake for 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

     The little changes I made were: Bisquick for the corn flour and onion salt for the mustard, since I didn't have either.  I also crushed a cup of Frito Scoops and topped the mixture before putting it in the oven.  

     Sometimes it's good to change things up.


     Have a wonderful MLK weekend:)



     
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment