Saturday, August 11, 2012

Adventures in Reading: Left To Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza


     Last month, I initiated the Adventures in Reading series on my blog. 
     As you may know, I love putzing around the cabin and blogging about doing things like trying to cook, working out, planning a garden, and watching movies.
     I actually haven't been to the movies in quite some time, as I am generally content to wait for the DVD version and curl up on the couch to watch almost any film.  (I do make a point to see the big epic-like pictures like Titanic or Jurassic Park at the theater, where size does matter.)
     One movie I am eagerly awaiting the release of is the upcoming Left To Tell.  It is the film version of the book that I made the first choice in my Adventures in Reading series and is written by one of my favorite people ever, Immaculee Ilibagiza.
     I have already confessed that I don't read too much, and, after reading a book like this, I feel pretty ashamed that I don't make a point to experience the joy of reading more often.
     This book is a first-hand account by Immaculee, who was a young college student who miraculously survived the Rwandan genocide of the early nineties by hiding with seven other women in a tiny bathroom for 91 days.
     I can't give too much away, but three things stood out in reading this incredible story:
     1)  The sheer terror and agony Immaculee experienced in the crowded bathroom as they hid from savage killers they could hear all around them.  Just imagining existing like that for 91 days without the threat of being mutilated upon discovery is amazing enough.
     2)  The power of prayer that Immaculee discovers in the bathroom and that she continues to speak about to audiences today.
     3)  For me, what is the most astonishing part of her ordeal is her ability to forgive the cruel and depraved murderers who wiped out men, women, children, and people she loved.  (I found this very good video segment where she discusses this in the Today Show.)
     This fascinating book has had an incredible impact on me personally, and I encourage especially anyone struggling with forgiveness of another to read it. Here are over 500 reviews from Amazon if you want to check this read out.
     I hope the movie can capture this incredible story the same poweful way that Immaculee's written account does.  For more from Immaculee Ilibagiza, here is a link to her website.
     Now off to choose my next book adventure...
Have a wondeful weekend.

for Adventures in Reading, in the Kitchen,
in Fitness, & in the Garden!


    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment