Thursday, December 29, 2011

Jillian 101

    
     So next Monday morning, probably better than half the country will wake up determined to get fit in 2012.
     I will be one of them, and, as I gear up for the daily battle of disciplined eating and regular workouts, I have chosen my weaponry with care.    

     In the past year, workouts with Jillian have brought me down fifteen pounds, so I am staying with her arsenal of DVDs ~ no matter how brutal she can be.
     If you somehow don’t know Jillian, she rose to fame on TV’s The Biggest Loser, where she won hearts with her tough-love style of motivating overweight contestants to not only reach their weight loss goals, but, even more importantly, to face the issues holding them back from personal growth.
     Her popularity has soared since then, in part due to an amazing work ethic that puts out DVDs, books, and video games on a regular basis.  But the main reason for her success, IMHO, is Jillian’s authentic desire to inspire people to reach goals they never truly believed possible. It seems to me that this genuine and strongly candid investment in the well-being of others resonates with the multitudes buying her products.
     At least, that is the case for me.
     Now, as I mentioned in a previous post, A Fitting Addiction, I have a slew of exercise videos lining the walls of our cabin fitness room, and I can sing the praises of many an instructor.  When I had not worked out for well over a year, Leslie Sansone’s walking DVDs got me moving again.  From there I advanced to the Queen of Fitness Video Longevity, Denise Austin, whose wide variety of videos, stepped it up a notch and for quite some time. I have also been successful with the likes of Cindy Whitmarsh, Kathy Kaehler (training both Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer), and Gunnar Peterson, among others.
    In the workout DVD world, I think there is someone or something for almost everybody.
    Since she was new and different and her reputation preceded her, I decided to try Jillian about three years ago, but gave up when things got too tough during the second week. I think I even gave the DVD away to one of my sisters.
     Last spring, I hit a string of life challenges, so one of my “gifts” to myself was giving Jillian’s growing collection another go-round. This time, I got serious and stayed with it. 
     For me, the strategy was to have at my disposal every workout DVD Jillian ever created.  That way, I would never get bored because I would always have variety, as well as an option to do shorter twenty minute workouts when pressed for time or longer forty minute routines when the time is there. (The only workout of hers I don’t have is her Yoga Meltdown.  My sister insists that the militant Michaels should not be mixing it up with something as calming as yoga, but I will eventually add this to my collection when I reach my goal weight.)
    If you are considering going with Jillian in 2012, here’s the “recipe” of how I personally use her collection:
     I start the week by looking at my calendar and determining which days I will do what workout, then I digitally post it on my desktop.  I check off each workout as I complete it throughout the week.
    Definitely own 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30.  Between these two DVDs, you have seven twenty minute workouts.  The first one contains three levels and the second one has four, all of them progressing in difficulty as you move up.  Jillian leads you through three circuits of a 3-2-1 formula for each level:  3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs.  She offers modified versions of mostly every exercise, and, if you must, you can stop periodically for five seconds at a time. Like Jillian says, “You start where you start.”
    And, if you are just starting Jillian, I recommend buying both DVDs, and alternate doing Level 1 of each four or five times a week until you are ready to move up to the next level.  Mostly everyone can find twenty minutes in their day, which makes these workouts very likable. Doing both DVDs simultaneously adds variety.
     (I admit I never did reach Level 4 of Ripped in 30 in 2011 ~ so here’s to conquering it in 2012.)
     Add Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones.  I generally change up my weekly workout routine after about 4 to 6 weeks.  These two forty-minute DVDs are great for alternating even 3 or 4 times a week.  Both consist of seven circuits. BFBM is a full body work-out that requires no weights.  I used not to be able to do all the circuits, so, in the beginning I selected three or four circuits until I built my stamina to complete them all. (For me, it’s a killer, but may just be my personal favorite.)
     NMTZ is a weight workout that targets every body part and gets your heart rate up.  I do these workouts when I have more time in my day.  If for some reason I don’t have the time, I grab one of the 20 minute ones mentioned above to make sure I get something in ~ no excuses!
     Mix in 6 Week Six-Pack, Killer Buns and Thighs, and Shred It With Weights.  These DVDs are each about 30 minutes, and I like to throw them in when I need to mix things up a little bit.  6WSP has two levels, KBT has three, and SIWW has two.  One, if you really want to target a given area in a short amount of time, these are great.  Two, having them on your rotation allows you to do something different than what I consider the “staple workouts” above.
     For a variation, try Extreme Shed and Shred.  This is her latest DVD, which I have done both levels so far, and I really like the uniqueness of each workout.  (I will have to report back on how I incorporate this in to my fitness regimen in 2012.)
     Anyway, if you are thinking about giving Jillian a try but are worried that she is too tough, I think you will find that, yes, she admittedly is, but that she honestly helps you and pushes you through your workout with humor, information, and inspiration.  Plus, she offers you a whole bunch of workouts to keep things from getting dull.
     You can buy each of these DVDs for about $10 each if you shop around a little bit, so you are looking at an overall investment of about $70 ~ far less than any gym membership.  These workouts will go a very long way.  You need very little space and very little equipment, but you do need a lot of discipline, mental stamina, and desire. Just don’t get discouraged if you initially experience a little “shock and awe” because you probably will.
     Whatever your plan for the upcoming year, whether it’s Jillian or something altogether different that works for you, may 2012 bring you happiness, health, and an opportunity to meet your fitness goals.
    Wish me luck in losing another fifteen, and I wish you all the best in whatever it is you are seeking to lose ~ or gain.
     Have a wonderful, happy, & healthy Thursday J



   

No comments:

Post a Comment