Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Sounds of The Season

    During this time of exchanging cookie recipes, baking cookies, and swapping cookies, I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout-out to B101.

    What is Christmas baking without the Bee?  Whether it's Christmas tunes in December or romantic songs with Delilah the rest of the year through, no baking session of mine is complete without turning the dial to Philadelphia's favorite soft rock station.

     There's nothing like lighting candles, setting out the ingredients, and turning on B101's mix of Christmas music. I'm convinced that ~ no matter what curve life has thrown my way ~ I'll probably never need therapy because of this regular little ritual.

    Who can deny the joy that music infuses into our day...especially this time of year? Sure, there's a Scrooge or two out there, but most of us are getting this.

     So, in honor of the joy of Christmas music faithfully brought by the Bee, here is my list of top ten favorites:

1) O Holy Night by Celine Dion ~ For me, this song captures the meaning of Christmas like no other. And her version? Wow.

2) The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole ~ This man could make a Twisted Sister song sound smooth.

3) No Place Like Home For the Holidays by Perry Como ~ I loved when Mom would bring out this and all those crooner albums the day after Thanksgiving.  I still don't break the No-Christmas-Music-Before-The Day-After-Thanksgiving Rule.

4) Silver Bells by Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters ~ It was hard to pick which of their combinations to go with, but this one always made me so happy as a kid, especially the line, "Soon it will be Christmas Day..."

5) Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra ~ Just awesome.

6) All I Want For Christmas is You by Vince Vance & The Valiants or Mariah Carey ~ This one's a tie. Both ladies belt it out great.

7) It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year by Andy Williams ~ Who doesn't get fired up for Christmas when you hear this song?  (My only question about it is the scary ghost stories lyric.  I don't know of anyone telling ghost stories on Christmas.)

8) Another Year has Gone By by Celine Dion ~ Ever since I heard this song a few years ago, I had a permanent place in my heart for it.  Still a hopeless romantic, I guess.

9) Santa Claus is Coming To Town by Bruce Springsteen ~ I loved this tune since it came out when I was in the 8th grade.  I still laugh when he says, "Awww, that's not many...not many."

10) White Christmas by The Drifters ~ There are a lot of beautiful versions of this song, especially by Bing.  But I can't help but love this one because it conjures up images of little Macaulay Culkin running rings around two bungling burglars in Home Alone.

      If you are in the Christmas spirit like me, you've probably been listening to the Bee ~ just like the guy I saw jamming to the Beach Boys' Little Saint Nick at the traffic light at Broad and Main not too long ago.

     If you're not in the spirit of the season yet, try a little music.

     Have a wonderful Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment