Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunday Game Day Platter

     Not so very long ago, I worked a part-time job in a nursing home.  My position was a weekend activities person every other Saturday and Sunday ~ at least, that is what the description in the classified advertisement said.
   
     But instead of calling Bingo, playing trivia, or running an exercise group, the program that I was assigned to lead was called Cooking With Bridget.  I'm not lying.

     Read my previous posts, and you will understand fully the risk my new employers were taking here.
   
    Any way, after a few short months, I found that the job ~ as much as I enjoyed it ~ was a little too much for me, particularly working a full-time position already and, most especially, being deeply committed to my family.
   
     I gave my two-weeks notice, assuring my employer that I would work the two days remaining on my schedule.
   
     So the final cooking session came, and, with it, the farewell meal.  As thirty elderly residents and their family members sat awaiting the Sunday dinner that I had prepared, the chicken alfredo sauce bubbling in the oven began to run over the side of the pan, sizzle on its bottom, and send smoke seeping through its doors and into the dining hall.
   
     Not just a little smoke, but a lot of smoke.
   
     It also sent the nurses' aides scurrying to open the windows and all the head nurses running down the hallway into the dining area to rescue my dinner guests.
    
      In the end, after the smoke had literally cleared, everybody at least appeared to enjoy this last supper before Cooking With Bridget came to an end forever.
    
     With my track record, I guess I have a good reason to stay out of the kitchen forever as well.
    
     But perhaps my share of culinary mishaps has created a woman on a mission to redeem herself.  If that means resorting to simple little no-fail recipes in order to please those willing to be on the receiving end of my effort...well then, so be it.
   
     Here is a recent holiday recipe success story that hopefully will cancel out the previous disaster...and it's just in time for Game Day:

     Game Day Platter

     Platter/tray (similiar to the one pictured below)
     Hot dogs (1 package of 8 of whatever variety you choose)
     Pillsbury Grands! (1 container of it or Crescents or whatever variety you choose)
     Four slices of American cheese (or a variety of your choice)
     Tortilla chips (1 bag or more if necessary)
     Salsa (1 jar mild or hotter if you can handle it)
     Velveeta Cheese (1 pound, cut into small pieces)

     Begin by turning the oven onto 350 degrees.  If you are using Crescent Rolls or another variety, adjust the temperature according to the instructions on the containter.

     As the oven pre-heats, slit the hot dogs to within about a half inch of either end and stuff each with half a piece of cheese. 

    If using Grands, you will need to press and stretch out each biscuit before wrapping it around each hot dog...voila' "pigs-in-a-blanket". (If using other Crescent or another variety, do what you need to do to wrap it around each hot dog.)

    When you place them on a cookie sheet, be sure the cheese sides are facing up.  Put in the oven for 15 minutes (or the time given on the container of the variety you have selected.)

    While the hot dogs are cooking, mix the salsa and the velveeta cheese in a bowl.  Place in a microwave and cook at one-minute intervals until thoroughly melted and hot (but not burnt!) Pour it into the middle of the tray. (The sauce in the middle of the tray can be ketchup, mustard, melted Velveeta cheese only, chili, relish, a homemade sauce like below, or whatever you desire to serve.)

    When the pigs-in-the-blankets are finished (the blankets should be a light golden brown), place them around the tray with tortilla chips, and serve to your guests.

   With this recipe plan, you might have to clean up some cheese sticking to the pan...but the chances of driving your guests out of your home seeking oxygen are extremely low.

     Have a wonderful Sunday...and may your favorite team prevail.


No comments:

Post a Comment